Thursday, August 28, 2014

Perspectives: Attending the ABA Annual Meeting

             As I stood on the metro on the way to Day One of the Annual Meeting, burning hot in a multi-layered suit and with a bag of heavy books over my shoulder, I stared at my iPhone calendar and thought to myself, I don’t have much time. As a student of Northeastern University School of Law, known for its year-round rotational schedule that places students in class over the summer and on externships throughout the school year, I was among the only students at the meeting with a final exam the next morning, another one in four days, and a paper due in a matter of hours. This was not a friendly coincidence.
            Nonetheless, as I continued looking at my calendar, I quickly remembered why I was putting myself through such a scheduling nightmare. Between all the study groups, cram sessions, and exams were a plethora of fun and amazing events that any law student would love: meetings with judges, cocktail receptions with the Young Lawyers Division, mixers with prominent legal professionals across the country, and a seemingly endless list of free CLE programs discussing various topics of law that fascinate and interest me. No, I may not have much time, I thought to myself. But it’ll be worth it.
            I arrived at the Boston Park Plaza, checked in at the registration desk, tried to stuff all the free stuff they gave me into my book bag, and headed to the Annual Meeting Orientation.  I stepped into the enormous ballroom full of law students from across the country, and in a matter of moments I felt connected to a profession and a cause so much greater than myself.  Later that night was the first mixer of the weekend, where members of the Law Student Division meet and network with attorneys from the many sponsoring divisions over amazing food and free drinks.  It’s amazing how many people I met in those few hours, and the insightful conversations we had and the joyful laughs we shared remain among my fondest memories of the weekend.
 
 

          But this was only the beginning. The next few days were full of other great events: meeting with other law students to discuss initiatives that could benefit students across our Circuit; visiting the ABA Expo, where every booth had something great to share; representing my law school at the Division Assembly, where I voted on resolutions that are crucial to the future of legal education; attending the Judicial Division Council meeting, where I spoke with some of the most prominent judges in the country about how they can connect with law students; and so much more.

I could go on, but the bottom line is this: the Annual Meeting gave me the chance to meet judges and attorneys who have encouraged me in tremendous ways, to speak with other law students who will lead this profession in the future, and to experience what it truly means to engage with our work and take pride in the paths we’ve chosen. While it was a pain to juggle final exams in the midst of it all, it was well worth it in the end.

Henry H. Tran, Northeastern University School of Law
Executive Lt. Governor, 1st Circuit & LSD Liaison to the Judicial Division Council

1 comment: